Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor after his release from custody after his arrest Reuters
Former royal detained as police open probe into Epstein links
The former Prince Andrew was arrested and held for about 11 hours on suspicion of misconduct in public office related to his links to Jeffrey Epstein. The detention by Thames Valley Police on Thursday marked an extraordinary step in the U.K. Where authorities had long taken care to shield the Royal Family from public scandal. He was released in the evening under investigation, meaning he has neither been charged nor cleared.
A royal family moment and the king’s statement
King King Charles III broke with tradition to comment on the arrest, saying, “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.” And adding that it would not be right to comment further as the process continues. The arrest was a rare and high-profile development. The last senior royal detained was in the 1640s, during the turmoil of King Charles I’s reign.
Searches, questioning and locations tied to the inquiry
Police searched Mountbatten-Windsor’s Sandringham home and his former residence at Royal Lodge. Photos circulated online showing unmarked police cars and plainclothes officers at Sandringham Estate. Officers also questioned him at a small-town police station in Aylsham, and he was later photographed leaving the custody building near the royal estate.
What police say and the nature of the allegations
Thames Valley Police said they had opened an investigation after assessing reports that Mountbatten-Windsor sent trade information to Epstein in 2010, when the former prince served as Britain’s special envoy for international trade. Correspondence released by the U.S. Justice Department last month included emails suggesting Epstein offered to arrange a date for the former prince and showed the then-trade envoy sending reports from a 2010 tour of Southeast Asia.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said the force had “now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.” The arrest involved a man in his 60s from Norfolk, who was detained and later released under investigation.
Survivors and campaigners react, and the shadow of Virginia Giuffre
The allegations under investigation are separate from claims made by Virginia Giuffre, who said she was trafficked to Britain to have sex with the prince in 2001 when she was 17; Giuffre died by suicide last year. Her family and supporters responded emotionally to news of the arrest, with Giuffre’s sister-in-law Amanda Roberts saying she was “overjoyed” but could not share the news with Giuffre. Her brother Sky Roberts said he believes she would have pushed for more accountability in both the U.K. and the U.S.
Political shockwaves and related documents
The documents released in the U.S. also stirred British politics, forcing questions for ministers about previous disclosures. The released files suggested Epstein may have used his private jet to traffic women to and from Britain, and they implicated other public figures. Prime Minister Keir Starmer faced scrutiny after papers showed a close relationship between Epstein and Peter Mandelson, who was appointed ambassador to the U.S. by Starmer; Mandelson is now the focus of a separate Metropolitan Police Service inquiry. The National Police Chiefs’ Council has established a coordination group to help U.K. forces assess allegations tied to Epstein and associates.
No special treatment, rare historical context and royal changes
Police said the former prince was treated like any other detainee: he likely spent time in a custody suite with basic facilities while awaiting interview. This arrest is widely viewed as a sign that deference to the monarchy has eroded. Royal experts called the episode a “spectacular fall from grace,” comparing its gravity to past royal crises.
The king had already taken steps to distance the monarchy from his brother. Since October, Charles stripped him of the right of “prince.” Forced him to move from the royal residence he occupied for more than 20 years. And issued a public statement supporting the women and girls abused by Epstein. The palace said last week it would co-operate with police investigating the former prince.
Correspondence and the questions it raises
Released emails include offers from Epstein to arrange introductions and show the then-prince inviting Epstein to dinner at Buckingham Palace. Other correspondence appears to show the former prince sending trade reports to Epstein after his Southeast Asia tour in 2010. Those exchanges underpinned police moves and the decision to open a formal probe into alleged misconduct in public office.
Reactions: from the U.S. to the royal expert’s view
U.S. President Donald Trump called the arrest “a shame” and “very sad,” saying it was bad for the Royal Family. Meanwhile, Craig Prescott, a royal expert at Royal Holloway, described the episode as the most spectacular fall from grace for a member of the Royal Family in modern times. And warned the story may not be over.
What happens next
The former prince released under investigation, meaning police continue to examine evidence. While he remains neither charged nor exonerated. Investigators will pore over the newly released documents, interview witnesses. And coordinate with other forces and agencies assessing allegations tied to Epstein. Survivors and campaigners say they want further accountability and for possible identification of co-conspirators.
Follow TNN for ongoing coverage of prince andrew. The latest royal and legal developments. Get more updates on this story and related news.